Tuesday, May 15, 2012

A Baby Story: 6 January 2011



I just watched an episode of A Baby Story on Discovery Home & Health. I had enjoyed A Baby Story ever since I was pregnant till now. I didn’t have the chance to welcome Ayden into this world because I was put under GA for the emergency c-section. So, I’ll always feel a little inadequate, touchy and sad every time I see those babies being handed over to their mothers to bond, right after exiting the womb. At that moment, I’ll kiss Ayden and apologize for I wasn’t there to take his fear of the unknown, away. Transiting from a safe quiet womb into the cold operating room must have been a traumatic experience for my little one. And not having his mother’s warm touch to soothe him must have made it all a whole lot scary. Poor Ayden…


Usually, A Baby Story’s episode comprises of a typical normal/caesarean section delivery and a happy welcoming of the new arrival thereafter. Today's episode was different. I watched it while putting my li’l one to sleep. Not paying that much attention till the final five minutes when the baby was safely delivered, handed over to the mummy, yet was taken over abruptly thereafter because something is wrong with her. She wasn’t crying. The mom frantically asked what was wrong with her angel. But no one in that labour room could answer her. To make it worse, her baby was whisked out of the room into another room, away from her still clueless mother. I can imagine the mother’s anxious feeling, to not know the status of the baby she had painfully pushed out of her. After further examination, the baby girl was diagnosed with a hole in her heart and was put in an incubator till a month later when she is ready for a surgery to mend the hole. Sad. Really sad.



When I was delivering Ayden, never once had I imagined my labour would be that difficult. I was anticipating a hassle free delivery as throughout my pregnancy all I heard was “The baby looks fantastic!”, “Everything is perfectly normal!”, “Do not worry! Everything will go along smoothly!” from Dr S. When I switched to Dr A at the last 6 weeks of pre-natal, I didn’t hear anything as chirpy & promising as Dr A is known to be a quiet gynae. He was so relax and not seem worry at all so I assumed everything was still A-Okay too.

 



That was why when Dr A calmly told me I had to be induced immediately due to the lack of water in my womb, I was very shocked. Lest when I went over to his assistant for my hospital admission letter, and was casually told by the chatty assistant (I really think Dr A should fire her) that Dr A was going for a 2 weeks long holiday on my estimated due date, I even suspected Dr A wants Ayden to be out of me earlier than his scheduled date & fast so that he can earn his $1000 to $1500 delivery charges and not have to pass me over to another gynae while he goes on vacation. Yes. I had ill thoughts of the man who is going to poke into my womb and bring my son out into this world, safely. But, the thought of my son sharing the same birthday with my mother, his anxious grandmother, made me put the ill thoughts at the back of my head and be excited of my impending induction.

On D-Day, Dr A broke my water bag with both of us (& the midwife) anticipating a tsunami of flowing water yet all we had was a gush of… nothing. Yes. No water came out of me. I wasn’t too bothered then as I didn’t know how much is too much and how none is actually very dangerous. Hey! I was a clueless first time mommy! Dr A told the midwife to monitor me and NOT give me any epidural. I heard the instruction and smile. I wasn’t planning to take any epidural anyway. I was going for a natural drugless labour. Yah right! 6 hours later, I was practically begging for an Epidural. In fact, I would KILL for one that when I was denied epidural by the midwife, I felt like 'you know' K-I-L-L her.

Fast forward to hours later when Ayden was safely out of me, blue and crinkled like a crumpled paper. Then, I thought it was normal of every other baby to look like that upon birth. But after talking to several mothers and another gynae I now know, my son’s skin condition upon arrival was not normal. Being crinkled was okay. Blue & VERY crinkled means bad. A little longer in the womb and I may not have a baby to call son at all!



And with that, all my ill thoughts were turned to regrets. Yes regret for thinking the worst of my handsome Dr A. No wonder he, Sarah the midwife & the nurses were in a flurry of mad rush (I was already so high from the laughing gas then but hell I know it was a hullabaloo drama) in delivery suite 7 at 8.35pm on 28 May 2010. Dr A, Sarah and the rest of the team was in a rush to safe my baby. The tiny bub who is going to be the joy of everyone in the family.

Alhamdulillah (thank god) Ayden came out as fit as a fiddle. Blue, crinkled yet perfectly healthy. Alhamdulillah! Imagine how would I feel when I came around (after the anaesthetic effect is gone) to know that something is wrong with my little angel. How would I or any mother for that matter would feel and react to knowing that the baby we painstakingly carry for 9 months and plan to safely bring into this world has to undergo more painstaking medical intervention to be safe. Especially, being a tiny fragile human, he or she is. Thus, I am so extremely grateful & thankful that I wake up to my family telling me how fair, small & cute my healthy little Ayden is.

Mommies, we may be told stories about the rainbows all throughout our pregnancy. We can be easily convinced to think that nothing could turn wrong on our D-Day. But, at the end of the day, God knows best of what & how is best for us…

Now Mommies, turn to your babies and children, stop screaming at them however naughty and playful they are and give them a tight hug and a very wet kiss. Cause, however easy or difficult your labour story was, we have to thank HIM for giving us these bubbly & healthy little souls to care, to hold and to mould into a wonderful citizen of the earth and a Solehs/Solehas Ummah Muhammad.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment