Monday, November 11, 2013

www.school@home.canwe?

Assalamu'alaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakaatuh.

It has been a long long time. Too long. My fault. Totally me. Too long that Ayden is now no longer into Dinosaurs any more.

But those who follow me on Instagram has been getting a lot of Ayden's updates daily. So that would somehow make it up. My captions are always MasyaAllah, lengthy like a blogpost on its own. So yah. I have redeemed myself there.

I woke up this morning revving to write about a topic. A very important topic. So here I am, typing away...

Homeschooling

In recent years, it has became the talk of the town with more parents jumping into the homeschooling band wagon believing they are the best teachers for their own kids.

I have contemplated doing that too when Ayden was a baby. Then I realised that I will be taking Ayden away from the normal school's social setting and as an only child, he needs that social skill the most.

So, I spent almost 2 years researching for the best school, visiting many preschools and putting down our deposits on a few (kiasu Singaporean parents. okay. Mom. Dad just go along and pay). I want my son to be in the best school. In a place where he will be accepted with open arms and loved by all for his potentials. I am sure my son has many potentials and talents (i am his mom and every mother has the most wonderful kid in her eyes and he/she is their own).

After relentless searches, I finally settle Ayden at a preschool so near to our home. Proximity is important knowing that KL traffic is not something I wanna wrestle with every morning. A musical based system made the preschool stood up among the rest. Ayden settled in quickly, even winning himself the Most Adaptable Student Award at the end of 2012 school year, just 2 weeks after he was enrolled. SubhanAllah.

A year had passed. Ayden is now a brighter and smarter boy (again, i am him mom) than he was a year ago. Alhamdulillah. He is well loved by everyone in his school. I even have his teacher telling me, the school is quiet without Ayden. Yeap. My son is that lively (and loud). I give credit to his school for most of what Ayden is today. The husband & I are proactive parents but really, without the help of his school, he will not be the active and participative boy that he is today...

During this one year, Ayden had shown signs of boredom repeatedly. Like he couldn't get 'satisfied' in school. He wants more. No. It is not his school as I know he is in the hands of one of the best in town. Its Ayden. It's the brain of a growing toddler. They wanna know and learn more than what the school syllabus has for them. On many mornings, Ayden told me he doesn't want to go school, and his father and I talked him into it. He always listens, Alhamdulillah and by the time we fetch him from school, he's the happy kid he usually is and that took our concerns away (for a while).

But the past 2 weeks, things got worse. He told me many times, he don't like school as what I have been doing with him at home, is much more fun. I really do not want to use enforcement on my son. I do not want him to grow up thinking he has to listen to everything that I say only because I am the mother. With the end of term (& calendar year) growing closer, I believe this is the best time to start him on a full time homeschooling. Something that I have been contemplating on doing for a while but never had the courage and confident to do so. I fear of the lack of discipline. I fear I can't control myself to teach properly enough. I fear... But...

Alhamdulillah, my recent hijraa has brought me closer to Al Quran & As Sunnah. These have turned me into a person who strives to wanting to be better and to stick to what I want. Not easy. Still struggling. But I will never know unless I have tried. And I have not try enough unless I have tried my best.

The husband is supportive enough on this plan. Alhamdulillah. He has even list down a few enrichment classes that Ayden will attend just so that we would not take him away totally from a social/peer setting. Hubs has also planned weekly fun educational trips that we could enjoy as a family, now that Ayden's mornings will be free. With some assistances and references from a superb Homeschool Mummy Ms Nana Ibrahim (MasyaAllah, Thank You, You!) all the way from Bahrain, I think we are gonna be off to a good start, InsyaAllah.

Well, its not really a start, start. All along I have been doing lots of crafts and activities with Ayden in the afternoons and evenings. ACTUALLY, homeschooling simply means, I have to bid farewell to my 3 hours of Ayden-less time every weekday morning. But I do not mind really. I have to admit, I feel more at ease with him right in front of my eyes 24/7, what's with all the recent scary abducting cases (paranoid mummy).

Homeschooling is not about me educating my son. It really is about me teaching myself because MasyaAllah, his questions are always so challenging, I don't know what will I do without the ever efficient Google. And, without him asking, I will never be interested in knowing or refreshing my memory about orbits, solar systems, atoms, molecules of dust, snow, igloos, western history, middle east, camel humps, hyena spots, guitar strings, potato chips, jellos and the list just go on and ono and on and on....

So yeah, this is gonna be a learning journey for the both of us, Mother and Son. InsyaAllah!

So, here goes. Another 3 days of school and then, we will be embarking on FUN, InsyaAllah. I don't know how long I would do this. I don't know how long I could do this. I don't know how long we are gonna stick to this routine. But I know we will have fun. Major FUN. Ayden is barely 4 anyway. So FUN is a major part in this future plan of ours.

Bismilla hirrahmannir rahim...

p/s: anyone (seasoned homeschool mummies) with great reference and resources about homeschooling that you wish to share, do not hesitate to email them to me at: umieisa@yahoo.com (please please please share them with me)

I would so appreciate the links, loves and support! May Allah bless us all! SubhanAllah!

No comments:

Post a Comment