Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The thing about my parents. Or rather, Ayden's grandparents: 4 November 2010

For the past 5 months, I have witness an execution of LOVE I had never seen before. My husband and I love Ayden wholeheartedly, that's undeniable. But seeing how precious my son is to his grandparents, really amaze us, his loving parents.



For a start, my mom and dad are wonderful parents to us. I was so dependant and attached to them, I co-slept with my parents till I turn 21. Yes. In the same room (do not ask me when or where my little siblings were conceived. I have nooooo i... dea... They were suddenly there! Heh!) although I have a room of my own, complete with springy mattress on a queen sized bed. No. I still drag my ratty kapas mattress and lay it by their bed, every night. My daddy's loud snore and my mommy's light breathing were my lullaby.

Same goes for my little sister, at 23, my mom still hand feed her meal everytime she's home. Yes. Feed. Suap. My mom makes it a point to go all around the house with a plate in her hand when Moomoo was a hyper toddler and up till now, a hyper baby tua; just so she could be sure my sister is fed and full. My little brother. He was the only son. The son my mother had hoped and prayed for (to replace my (stillborn) older brother who left us almost 2 years before I came). Marul is what you call, Mommy's Boy. Then, everything he wants, he gets. Now, everything he wants, he gets (after being nagged at). My brother will hate me for telling everyone this, but at 17, my mom still calls him Baby. He is her Baby.

 



My dad cultivated in me, the love for books since I was a child. I still remember how he would come home with library books for me to read every week. That was how I filled my lonely time as I was an only child till I was 7. I love writing since young and Dad told Mom to buy me a Typewriter. An electronic one even though that money would have been invested better on other things, as money then, did not come easily. I have very supportive parents. Not well off, but always put our needs and wants before theirs.



 

I could go on and on about my parents’ love and sacrifices for me. About what they have done to make me the person I am today. About how strict they were with me and boy friends just so I would not fall in love with the wrong guy. About how they accepted my husband with open arms and love him like their own just because he made me happy. But this is a note about them as grandparents to their precious little Ayden. My moments have passed & I turned out quite fine.

When I read the word ‘PREGNANT’ on the home test kit about a year ago, I immediately MMS my whole family. My mom, sister and brother were elated beyond words (ya. cos they screached. without word). While my dad, the thing about my dad is, at other times, he is very loud and talkative. But he is not an expressive man when he’s truly happy (it's a matter of honor, he said). He was over the moon with the news, he loves babies. Had wanted a grandchild the minute after I got married. But he concealed his happiness and concern by asking about every other things instead. Every day, he’ll call me more than 5 times asking if I had watered the plants he had planted at my place, about the weather in KL, about the food I ate though I know all he wanted, was to listen to my voice to make sure I was alright. Ego. Man. Sigh.

When I discovered my baby’s gender, again, I shared it immediately with my whole family. Everyone was happy, mom and me especially, ‘cause we were hoping for a boy. But my daddy was a little disappointed as he on the other hand wished for a granddaughter instead. A little disappointed. But excited he was, still.



He prayed everyday that my pregnancy will go as smoothly as possible, and his grandson will come out healthy and fine. So, when I laid on the hospital bed, having very bad contractions every 2 minutes for more than 10 hours and there’s no sign that the baby is coming out anytime soon, my dad spouted verses from Al-Quran nonstop under his breath. Praying to God at the same time if there’s anyone who shall ‘go’ that day, let it be him. Not his daughter. Not his grandson. Yes. Such is the love of a father and a soon to be grandfather (then).



When Ayden was safely delivered, my husband & parents camped at Mount Alvernia from morning till late for my 3 & 1/2 days stay. I was truly happy to have my loves as company and for Ayden to know how much he is welcomed & loved.



I stayed at my parents’ for a good 2 months thereafter while my darling husband has to return to KL to work. My parents had watched Ayden grow from a tiny little baby to a feisty and chubby bambam. When we left for KL, my Daddy teared uncontrollably. My mom was cool at first, but she too teared right after our car moved off. And the next day, there they were, at our doorstep, driving 4 hours to KL just to spend a few hours with their (sleeping) Grandson.



Till now, my parents would drive up to KL at every possible weekend to play with Ayden. My husband, being the lovely man that he is will also send us back to Singapore for a week or two so that Ayden could spend time with the family here and receive more attention and love than he has back at our own place. My mom would take over the care of my son and let me rest and write while here. A luxury I don’t get when I am home. Ayden knows how much he is loved in this tiny flat. I love to see how my son chuckles and laughs all the time here. Crying? Rarely. Every night before sleep, I would thank God for the many love and blessings He showers upon me. I have angels as parents. I married a wonderful man. My siblings are my strength and my baby is just perfect. Alhamdulillah.

Every day, my dad will say out his many dreams for his Grandson. He has many plans for his Cucu. He wants to travel the world with Ayden. Want to feed him everything that he wants to eat. Want to teach him life's many skills. Want to love him till his very last breath.

Ayden's 6578342th gift from my Dad! Such a pampered grandson! Thank you Bapak!

And every day too, I pray to God that He grants my parents the best of health, so that they could live a long happy life, to do all that they dream of doing with their beloved Grandson.



Ayden, when you read this in the future, I want you to know, your Yai and Nyai love you very much and you are really blessed to have this wonderful duo as your grandparents.



Mak, thank you for showing me how to be a Mother. You're so good at mothering, you're my idol. Bapak, thank you for the abundance of love (& gifts) for my son. You’re always too generous. Babusyuk, thank you for all your love and understanding. I know I could never find a better man to call, husband. Ayden, thank you for bringing immense love, joy and laughters to our lovely family. I Love You(s).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment